Thursday, November 4, 2010

Hays Co. Dems react to defeat

Updated: Wednesday, 03 Nov 2010, 1:02 AM CDT
Published : Wednesday, 03 Nov 2010, 1:02 AM CDT

HAYS COUNTY (KXAN) - In the heated campaign for Hays County Sheriff, incumbent Tommy Ratliff faced defeat against Republican candidate Gary Cutler.??

At a watch party Tuesday night Sheriff Ratliff said the national attention that prevailed all over the state of Texas for Republican candidates prevailed in Hays County as well.

"There's a lot of people that just walked in and voted straight ticket on the Republican side and we respect that and that's certainly their choice to do that.? We really thought that maybe people would look closely at each candidate but they made their choice," said Sheriff Ratliff.

The Sheriff said he respected the decision of Hays County voters and was happy with the campaign he ran.

"We feel like we ran a very clean and professional campaign...that talked about issues and things that were going on in the county, and we don't have a problem looking in the mirror at ourselves for the type of campaign that we ran and we're real proud of that," said Sheriff Ratliff.

Hays County Commissioner Jeff Barton who was running for County Judge held his campaign watch party at the Vault Restaurant and Bar in Downtown San Marcos.? At the beginning of the night, when the polls first closed, his campaign spokespeople said they were nervous and would be "biting their nails" throughout the night.? It was apparent early on many Democrats would leave the party disappointed.

Barton lost to Republican challenger Bert Cobb.? During his concession speech, Barton made reference to his father's experiences sailing.

"Turns out we had a pretty strong head wind on this particular night and I want to particularly thank all of you in here.? I look around I see so many faces -- every face has a story to me," said Barton.

In the race for San Marcos Mayor to replace Susan Narvaiz who chose not to seek re-election, John Thomaides was defeated by Daniel Guerrero.

"I congratulated him on a hard fought victory.? I wished him my best and let him know I would be there do whatever he needed me to do to help his new administration," said Thomaides.

Meanwhile mayor-elect, Daniel Guerrero, said he didn't realize he'd won at first.

"It didn't hit me for about five seconds.? It didn't hit me until my uncle hugged me.? It didn't hit me until I saw my mom cry and it didn't hit me for a little while, and then it just dawned on me, you will be the mayor, the leader of this community and that's a huge responsibility and I take it very seriously," said Guerrero.

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read our FAQ page at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php
Five Filters featured article: Beyond Hiroshima - The Non-Reporting of Falluja's Cancer Catastrophe.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment